Friday, April 08, 2005

Clarification and beyond

It seems that the anonymous reader who commented on the last entry completely misunderstood my point. (Perhaps I did not express it clearly enough.) The issue has nothing to do with entertainment value. Of course it is good entertainment value, and most people, including myself, do watch a movie for its entertainment value. The problem is that when somebody who does not understand the film begins to make value judgement anyway, then I must ask that person: how can he justify his judgement? It is a mistake we frequently do, when we center ourselves in the universe. If you are going to watch for entertainment - fine, but don't comment on how the imitation of Bruce Lee is old and boring: you don't even know why the director did that. At the same time, do not condemned (yes, I think it is a condemnation) the film to be an action film and sell it as the ultimate kung-fu movie, and Chow a master of kung-fu movies: the film is not about kung-fu. Do not pretend your own categories to be universal and apply them to everything, because you don't have a clue of what is going on outside of your little world. I do not criticize the audience who wants entertainment, but those who promotes the movie (the critics) and markets it (the commerical cooperations).

[implications to be filled in by the readers]*

[Perhaps one might appeal to the whole "I have the right to voice my opinion" thing: fine, be that way. That is despicable - one has just lost all my respect for him, for he has disrespected the artist and another culture.]

O! Untimely Meditation! The implication of what I have just said causes unspeakable agony and anger in me: either somebody silence me, or I shall silence myself.

*Note: I have previously contemplated on the full implications of my clarification. However, since the words are too angry, I will only keep them to myself. Think a little, and perhaps you too can come to the implications yourself.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I constantly get the impression that you are making absolute statements. Kinda weird coming from an art student.

Chris

10:30 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home